A radical variation of the classic Reuben sandwich, made with hamburger instead of corned beef, sauerkraut, Thousand Island dressing and Swiss cheese on grilled rye, from Rebecca Furtado on Hubpages.com.
Yields 4 sandwiches.
- 1lb ground beef, lean
- 1 can sauerkraut, drained
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 4 swiss cheese, slices
- 4 large, whole wheat kaiser rolls
- 8 ounces of thousand island dressing
- While broiler rack is cool, spray with non stick cooking spray and adjust to 6 inches from the heat source.
- Preheat the broiler.
- In a medium bowl, mix ground beef, sauerkraut, and caraway seeds until well blended.
- Shape mixture into 4 patties, each about 3/8 inches thick.
- Broil patties for 7 minutes , DO NOT TURN Patties.
- Pull out broiler and add cheese slices, broil 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted.
- Carefully remove patties and place on open buns spread with thousand island dressing, garnish as desired.