Put Sonic’s drive-in to shame with these home made, beer batter onion rings.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large sweet onion (cut into 1/4 slices)
- 3 egg whites, beaten
- 1 12ounce can of beer
- 3/4 cup plain bread crumbs (finely ground)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheit.
- Spray a nonstick baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Combine flour salt and cayenne on a plate.
- Separate the onion slices in rings, but keep them in groups of two, one ring ring inside another.
- Whisk beer into egg whites in a bowl.
- Dredge the rings in the seasoned flour, dip in the egg whites mixture, then coat with the bread crumbs.
- Place on baking sheet and bake on top oven rack until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Turn the onion rings over and bake until browned 5 to 10 minutes.