Sometimes you can put down your dietary guard and splurge, like when you’re ravenously hungry for a solid breakfast. Try this overnight breakfast casserole for a Sunday brunch!
- 1 – stick butter (1/2 cup) melted
- 12 – slices Texas toast or any leftover bread
- 1 – cup brown sugar
- 1 – teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 – teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 – teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 – eggs
- 1 1/2 – cups milk
- Ppowdered sugar for sprinkling
- Pour melted butter into 9×13 baking dish.
- Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Whisk eggs, milk and vanilla extract together.
- Layer baking dish with half of the bread slices.
- Sprinkle half brown sugar mix over bread.
- Add second layer of bread slices.
- Pour egg mixture over bread slices, covering evenly.
- Sprinkle remaining brown sugar on top.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove casserole from refrigerator and cover with fresh foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes, until browned and set.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top prior to serving.
- Optional: Pour a little bit of maple syrup on top of casserole. Place back in the oven and using your ovens broiler, broil for about 5-7 minutes to caramelize the top.
Adapted from Mommy’s Kitchen Overnight French Toast Casserole.