Make quick use of chicken or turkey remnants with this simple baked dish!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 or 4 sliced scallions
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups diced chicken or turkey (cooked)
- 12 ounces spinach
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese (preferably cheddar)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat inside of 3 quart baking dish with Butter flavored Pam or similar cooking spray.
- Melt 5 tablespoons of butter in saucepan.
- Add mushrooms to the saucepan and saute until tender.
- Add onions and saute for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir flour into the mixture, cooking until smooth and bubbly.
- Add stock, diced meat, spinach and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens.
- Add milk, cheese and salt & pepper to taste.
- Boil macaroni in water with a little cooking oil and salt for about 6 to 7 minutes, or until done to the desired degree.
- Drain the macaroni stir into the mixture in the saucepan.
- Transfer the contents of the saucepan into the 3 quart baking dish.
- Cover the top of the mixture with bread crumbs and remaining butter (1 tablespoon).
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until the desired degree of browning is achieved.
Thanks to Diana Rattray at Southern Food on About.com for this one!