Here is a delightful recipe for a hearty Italian lasagna. An adaptation of my 5 cheese recipe, this one calls for Fontina and Asiago cheeses and grated Romano instead of Parmesan to top it off.
- ½ pound ground round
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup Fontina cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Romano cheese, finely grated
- ½ cup Asiago cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Provolone cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 28-ounce cans Italian plum tomatoes, crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Sauté the garlic and crushed red pepper until softened.
- Add the tomatoes, the reserved juice, basil, oregano, bay leaf and salt.
- Stir in tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil, and lower the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes, uncovered, stirring now and then.
- Discard bay leaf.
- In a black cast iron pot, brown ground round with chopped onions over medium-high heat.
- Cook meat until it is browned, drain excess fat.
- Pre-heat oven to 250° F.
- Cook lasagna noodles, four at a time, in large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Drain then cover with cold water, to keep from sticking, and set aside.
- Mix Fontina cheese, Romano cheese, Asiago cheese, Provolone cheese and Romano cheese together.
- Drain pasta and pat dry.
- Spread 2 Tablespoons of olive oil on the bottom up the sides of a baking dish (about 9″x13″).
- Cover the olive oil with a layer of pasta – lengthwise across the pan.
- Spread one third of ricotta cheese evenly over noodles.
- Sprinkle about one half cup of the dry cheese mixture over sauce.
- Pour a cup of the tomato sauce over pasta and spread it out.
- Lay down another layer of pasta at right angles to the sheets of pasta in the first layer.
- Cover this with ricotta, dry cheese mixture and sauce.
- Add half of the browned meat and onion mixture, spread it out.
- Add another layer of pasta, at right angles.
- Cover this with ricotta, dry cheese mixture and sauce and the remaining meat mixture.
- Top with another layer of pasta, remaining sauce and cheeses.
- Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for one hour or until heated through.
- Remove the foil and bake until the top gets slightly crusty.
- After taking it out of the oven, allow the lasagna to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Slice into six pieces and serve.
Godere con gusto!