With this years’ bumper crop year on the west coast, apples are abundant this fall. Here is a relatively easy dessert to help dispense with your apple surplus in tasty fashion.
- 7 cups thinly sliced apples (7 medium)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place apples in lightly greased 2-1/2 qt. shallow baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, oats, flour, cinnamon and salt; lace with canola oil and knead with fingers until mixture is thoroughly moist; sprinkle over apples.
- Drizzle with water.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract, baking powder and baking soda.
- Sprinkle over apples.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream on top (ala mode).
Yield: 8 servings.