This dish was concocted from things around the kitchen. I made brown rice in chicken broth with peas to accompany the entree.
- 2 deboned chicken breasts filets
- garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot or green onion, chopped
- 2 medium pears, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or stock (all fat removed)
- 4 tsps good-quality aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsps brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup dried raisins.
- 1 dash cinnamon.
- 2 tbsps crushed walnuts.
How to make it
- Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap.
- Using a meat mallet, carefully pound the chicken breasts to a uniform thickness of approximately 1/2-inch.
- Season on both sides with garlic salt and pepper.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken and saute, turning once, for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a platter, cover, and keep warm.
- To the same pan, add the shallot and saute over medium-high heat for 2 minutes or until soft; decrease heat to medium and add the pears. Continue sautéing, stirring occasionally for 3 to 4 minutes, until the pears are soft and golden brown.
- To prepare the sauce, combine chicken broth, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Pour over the pear mixture; add the raisins.
- Increase heat to high and simmer, stirring frequently for 6 to 8 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Return the chicken and any juices to the pan.
- Bring the mixture back to a simmer; decrease heat to medium. Cook for 10 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (juices will run clear when cut with the tip of a knife).
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Remove chicken from heat.
- Place the chicken on individual serving plates or on a large platter.
- Using a slotted spoon, mound the fruit over the top.
- Spoon the sauce over the fruit and around the chicken.
- Add a dash of cinnamon and sprinkle crushed walnuts on top.
- Serve immediately.