Influenced by 3 different turnip soup recipes, I combined a few selected steps from each to create this. This was the first time to try this one and I believe it went over quite well.
- 2 turnips – Grated
- 1 celery Stalk – Diced
- 1/4 small onion – Diced
- 1 Cup chicken stock
- 4 Tsps. butter or margarine
- 1/2 Leftover, Refrigerated, Baked potato – Peeled & Diced
- 1 Cup water (Adjust For Desired Texture)
- 1/2 Cup milk or Cream
- 1/2 Cup V8 or tomato juice (I Prefer V8, Clamato Is Good Too)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Dash thyme
- 2 Dashes parsley
- 1 Dash garlic salt
- 1 Dash cracked black pepper
- 1/2 Can turnip Greens – Drained
- 1 Stalk green onion (Garnish)
- 1 Dollop sour cream (Garnish)
- Saute turnips, celery, onion, stock, butter and potato for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add water, milk, tomato juice, greens, bay leaf, thyme,salt, pepper and allow to simmer on low for about an hour.
- Sprinkle parsley over the soup.
- Prior to serving top each serving with sour cream and green onion.